Saturday, September 07, 2013

Race Report: Alabama Coastal Triathlon - Olympic Distance

I completed the Alabama Coastal Triathlon in Gulf Shores today. It is an olympic distance event. I was concerned about the event at first as I started having pain on the right side of groin yesterday and could feel it some this morning. Fortunately, it seemed to pass and disappear by the end of the race.  I have to travel to Orlando tomorrow. As a result Betsy and John choose not to accompany me as she would have to spend tomorrow here alone and drive home alone. The race went well, but I sure miss Betsy and John. I need to work once I get passed this race report anyway. So, its for the better, I reckon. Sure is lonely though.

The swim went well, but I did start by swimming to the wrong buoy:


And, I saw lots of jelly fish. I felt a minor sting on my right forearm on the first loop. I mistakenly hit stop of my Garmin 910XT watch as I entered T1 :( I did figure it out before I lost too much time. The ride felt great and the run was not fast, but was steady. For a minute, I thought I had a chance of breaking 3 hours. But, I missed by 6 minutes. But, it was my fastest olympic to-date, so I can't complain.

Results

September 7, 2013: Alabama Coastal Triathlon
Olympic
Time: 3:06:14
aaaaSwim

Distance: 1.5K
Time: 38:26
TransitionTime: 1:40
CycleDistance: 24.85 Miles
Time: 1:15:05
Rate: 19.9
TransitionTime: 2:46
RunDistance: 6.2 Miles
Time: 1:08:19
Pace: 11:07
WeatherMostly Cloudy
Temperature: 73.0°-84°
Humidity: 90%

Some pictures from the day:

Beautiful day, let's go do a triathlon
Activity is starting to pick up
The transition area.
Transition set up and ready
Transition is ready
Betsy did so good I listened to the pre-race briefing from my balcony.

Time to join the crowd.
Into the water we go. Jelly fish await...
What we look like coming out of the water.
3 hours and 6 minutes after the start...
Yep, I'm a bit tired.
Some pictures added from Ronnie Blakney's Facebook.

No comments: