Sunday, September 29, 2013

Race Report: Augusta Ironman 70.3 - Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda....

The Race

My previous best 1/2 Ironman was also at Augusta in 2011 (6:10:30). This time I did 6:16:11, 5:41 slower than 2011. But, I think it could of been faster if I would have done a few things differently. First, I had to pee while swimming and I couldn't muster up enough gumption to do it while moving. Thus, I lost some time in the water. Sorry, fellow competitors. Second, I lost too much time putting compression sleeves on my calves. And, since that went slow I went ahead and did the socks. Thus, the long T1 time. Third, I had to pee on the bike. So, I tried to do it while moving. But, that meant getting in a position (not pedaling) to do so. It sort of worked after I tried a few times, but I was not able to empty my bladder. Thus, I ended up stopping at a porta john anyway. So, did I lose 5:41 seconds? To top it off, I hit the stop button between the swim to bike. Thus, I lost some unknown number of minutes on the watch during the race. So, I had to guess about where I was exactly in contrast to my 6:10:30 time of 2011.

So, lots of negatives, but my attitude during the race was not negative. I felt good and I had a good time. But, it would have been cool to PR too.

Setting up transition went well and I was able to park near the finish line. The swim started with the announcer telling us we would have start from the dock unlike previous years where we were started in the water. Why was this year different? Because the current was too strong. We were not unhappy to hear this. Except for my aforementioned need to pee, the swim was smooth and faster than previous years. Notably, this is the first wetsuit swim where I didn't have any issues at the beginning (trouble getting into the rhythm or  breathing). I did have a lot of trouble seeing the buoys, so I had to sight of the shore and other swimmers. LESSON: wear tinted goggles in direct sunlight. I need to find some tinted goggles I like to wear.

The bike went well. OK, again except for the need to pee and having to stop to do so. I passed a cyclist that clearly knew how. I was glad I didn't feel any mist in the air. The one thing I was worried about before the race turned out to be an non-issue. I was able to replenish my Profile Design hydration system (between the aero bars) while rolling. I did have to uncap the water bottles with my teeth as I am too scared to ride without holding the handle bars.

The run also went well except for one nutritional incident. I took perform at the first water stop and my stomach felt odd shortly there after. I stuck with water for the rest of the stops and the feeling passed. LESSON: stick to what you have practiced in training. I have quit using electrolyte based drinks like perform and gatorade based on information and conversations related to these:

Sodium supplementation is not required to maintain serum sodium concentrations during an Ironman triathlon
The Sports Drink Debate

I never walked, not even for the water stops.

While this was the last event for me this year, I feel ready for beginning my preparation for Ironman Chattanooga next year. I met or exceeded all my goals this year. I am pleased.

Post Race

The best thing about this race is that Teresa Jones, a friend of many years, was in the race too. We met the night before at Olive Garden along side many of the folks she has been training with. Teresa was working with me when I first launched my many year long running path (1994). I had just quit smoking and she was training for the 1995 Cooper River Bridge run. I signed up too. Several times she told me of an event she watched involving triathlon and a friend of hers. Fast forward a few years and I'm doing triathlons. Even better, Teresa starts doing triathlons. She set a stretch goal for the 2013 Augusta Ironman 70.3. 

I saw Teresa as I was completing my last loop of the run and she said our good friends, Bobby and Susan, were at the finish line. That made my day. Well, I didn't see them as I finished. I finished, then ate some pizza and fruit. I noticed that the finish line volunteers had not taken my timing chip. So, returned to the finish line to return it. On the way back, I spotted Susan. Joy! I joined Bobby and Susan and we cheered Teresa as she passed us on the course and up the finish chute. She did it!

It was a good day.

Results

September 29, 2013: Augusta Ironman 70.3
Time: 6:16:11

SwimDistance: 1.2 Miles
Time: 30:08
TransitionTime: 7:56
CycleDistance: 56 Miles
Time: 3:01:24
Rate: 18.5
TransitionTime: 3:58
RunDistance: 13.1 Miles
Time: 2:42:45
Pace: 11:39
WeatherGenerally Clear
Temperature: 55.9-73.9°
Humidity: 90-48%

History

YearTimeSwimT1BikeT2Run
20106:25:4533:564:363:03:486:502:36:37
20116:10:3032:335:562:55:185:012:31:42
20136:16:1130:087:563:01:243:582:42:45
Fastest component in red.

Pictures

Carbo-loading the night before with Teresa

$10,000,000 worth of bikes

The National Anthem launches the day as the flag comes down to earth

Swim-Bike-Run (They were playing "Staying Alive" by the Bee Gees at the finish...

Moving along with Teresa

Sitting on the course to cheer on Teresa with Bobby and Susan (Bobby is taking the picture.




No comments: