Saturday, December 20, 2014

Race Report: I Can Go Quickly: Meadow Brook Runs 5K

The Highlights

I completed the 20th Annual Meadow Brook Runs 5K alongside fellow E3 Tri athlete, Amy Potter Higginbotham, pictured below. I saw a few runners I recognized, but that fact that it was but just a few, reminded me that I have really joined the ranks of the local triathletes and not so much the local runners anymore. It was a beautiful morning for a run. I have done this race approximately 5 times in the past. The course is gently rolling and finishes along the lakes by the office complex near the starting line.

The beginning of the race is always preceded by some religious words of encouragement and the release of a large number of doves that circle around the area for a bit then head on to their home. The words of encouragement this year were a bit verbose and vehement invitation to join or renew one's standing within the Christian religion. It seemed a bit over the top, but you can expect a little more than usual as this event is is a fund raiser for "The Jesus Video Project of Alabama". I don't mind offering my support, but am not personally swayed by such sermons.

I intended to run strong and did. In fact, near the turn around point I noticed that I was not very far behind Amy. I set my sights on reeling her in and passing her. And, yes, I told her so as we approached each other just after she made the turn-around. I was close to reaching that goal, but did NOT. She beat me with 1 runner between us. I did gain on her significantly, but could not deliver the killing blow. Trying to beat her served as a motivating pull from my second half of the run. Thanks,
Amy!

It would seem that given this performance, I should be able to pull faster times for longer events. I used a pace prediction calculator from Runner's World, to get the following predictive paces based on this race:

DistancePredicted Time
5 Miles44:08
10K55:34
10 Miles1:32:01
1/2 Marathon2:02:36
Marathon4:15:36

I would be happy with those time!

Results

December 20, 2014: Birmingham, AL
3.1 Miles
Meadowbrook Runs
Distance:3.1 Miles
Time:26:39
Heart Rate:162
Pace:8:29
Weather:Overcast
Temperature-42°
Humidity-85%

Pictures (Courtesy of Suman Silwal from Marathon Runs mruns.com)

I'm the guy with the white singlet with the black stripe across the chest.

Amy finishing in front of me by just a few seconds. Although, I am nowhere in sight!

No comments: